I laughed when I realized how many years it took to discover who I am.... by first zealously exploring who I am not

Monday, January 30, 2012

Talking helps the walking

You know what I did last week for the first time ever? I told someone how much I weighed. Not the weight that I round down (or lie) to match what is on my drivers license. Or that I think I can get away with. But my real honest to goodness weight. The weight that 2 weeks ago in the doctors office almost caused me to lay in the floor and cry in front of everyone. The weight that the doctor used every word but "fat" to describe. The weight that has reached the point that I lay in bed at night and cry because none of my friends look like me and how could they possibly want to be with me and not be embaressed because everything is harder for me. Because I can't just squeeze in the backseat of the car or sit in the little chair b/c my ass is to big to fit inbetween the sides. I reached a new point. Maybe it has happened because I lost both my parents this year. Maybe it happened b/c my mom's heart fell apart on the operating table and she bled to death. Maybe it's because I don't want my kids to lose me and cry everyday and question whether God has their best interests at heart. I just know that I am miserable. I am tired of looking the way that I look and feel. But this time feels different. Whenever I've tried to "diet" and I hate that word, I didn't tell people b/c I always felt like everytime I did anything people would be like "You can't do that", "that's bad for you". But this time is different. I've told 2 people what I weigh and I'm telling everone in my life "HEY I'M TRYING TO BE HEALTHY". There is a huge relief that comes when you don't carry that secret anymore. It holds you accountable, it makes it real but it brought something else that I didn't know it would bring. It brought out people that love me in a way that I could have never imagined. When I told my friend how much I weighed she gave me the most amazing smile and said Me and my husband have been praying for you every week. I was totally blown away. Then at coffee I brought it up to someone else and they were so excited I thought they were going to pop their baby out. The talking about it has brought out and surrounded me with people that I can call and ask "why wheat and not white", they are going to the grocery store with me, offering me massages b/c it will help cleanse my body, more nutrition information than I will ever understand. and not one single word of condemnation, or it's about time or finally. Just you can do it, I will help you and you are not alone. Just sitting here typing this, I have tears streaming down my face because I am so overwhelmed. I know that there is a long road ahead of me. But I have no doubt that God has surrounded me with people that will help me along the way.

7 comments:

  1. Coming from someone who knows exactly how tough it is to tell someone else the truth about your weight I am so proud and excited for you!

    It won't be an easy journey for you but it will be one that you will reap the rewards from in so many ways!

    Love you Lizzy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Reginia! It will be so worth it in so many ways

      Delete
  2. HOW did it escape me that you were blogging? I just stumbled upon this in your feed! I'm so excited for you. I'm there with you. sitting with my big arse squeezed in the seat next to you! and trying to change everything I think and everything I do...so that it's never this size again! LOVE YOU MUCH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just saw this... is this Camille?

      Delete
  3. That is awesome! Talking about it really does help and it helps in staying motivated and being held accountable. I'm in the same boat right now. I've struggled with my weight for most of my life. Several times in the past 10 or so years, I've lost some weight then put it back on, lost some weight then put it back on, and so on and so on. This time I'm more serious than I ever have been, and I know that it's a commitment that I'm going to have to make for the rest of my life. I also know that it won't be easy, but that I can do it...AND SO CAN YOU!! I look at the number of pounds that I want to lose and it seems so far off, but the key is making small goals and working hard towards those. There are days where I'm doing great, and some days where I get so pissed off that I can't just eat what I want to eat! But then I step on the scale, see the pounds coming off, and know that it is totally worth it. So, I'm here for you if you want to talk about it or just need some motivation. WE CAN DO THIS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweet girl!! Really want to get together with you :)

      Delete
  4. Lizzy, I have been sitting here reading ALL your post. I had no idea that you had been struggling like this. I know it's been forever since we have talked. I just always saw you as the one who was strong and "had it all together". I thought I was the one who was falling apart at the seams! lol... All joking aside, I am so proud of you. Putting this out here for everyone to see cannot be easy. I wish I could do it. Who knows, maybe I will one day. It seems that it is very therapeutic for you. For what it's worth, I have no doubt in my mind that you can do this. I am so proud that you have come to this place in your life. Painful, but a good place. I will start praying for you and lift you up daily. I miss you sweetheart. Keep writing---I love it!! Marcy Carey

    ReplyDelete