I laughed when I realized how many years it took to discover who I am.... by first zealously exploring who I am not

Monday, February 23, 2015

A side of desperation

It has been a heart wrenching night in my small community. A man-a father, a husband, killed his wife and as the night continued his life ended as well. Things like these are difficult and heart breaking to watch. They are also a part of life I wish I could shield my kids from, but know that I can't. The world is an ugly place. It's filled with people who are struggling and hurting. This morning as I took my son to school, he kept asking question after question, questions that I didn't have the answer for- that no one has the answer for. As we approached the school I finally landed on this statement- Son, people are desperate and desperation can lead you down a path with disastrous results. 

Psalms 13:12 says this:
                           Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life.

I love the message translation which says:
 
                          Unrelenting disappointment leaves you heartsick, but a sudden good break can 
                           make you turn your life around. 

Life is hard. Married, single, kids, career it's all hard for everybody. Throw in broken hearts, hurt feelings, and cover it with a mess of suffering and it's a wonder any of us get out of bed and walk upright. The unrelenting dissapointment of this world leaves us heartsick. It robs us of our joy and our peace and keeps us captive. But a good break turns it around. What is a good break? It's that friend calling just to say hi. Coffee Fridays at Starbucks with your girlfriends that turns into lunch.It's your people, your tribe that you know loves you and is there for you when you can't be there for yourself. It's a church family that misses you when you aren't there. It's that one friend that calls you out when you are being overly dramatic or just tells you when you are being a butt. Because, let's be real we can all be that way. Two weeks ago in church our alters were filled with people crying, desperate for a move of God in their lives. Desperate enough to come forward, to surrender everything and to seek Him. Their desperation led them to a different place. It makes me realize how important we are to each other. We need each other. People need to KNOW they aren't alone. The worst days that I have are the ones where the enemy convinces me that I'm alone. We are never alone. God is always with us. He loves us, desperately loves us. And He gave us people to surround us and hold us when we are broken and to be a safe place for us when we are desperate. People that are the hands and feet of Jesus. 

It's a broken world. But if you love Jesus you have the glue. Find someone today and just love them. Reach out to them. Go through your phone and find that friend, maybe it's the one that always needs you, so you don't always answer when they call. Be there. Life is fleeting and your friendship may be the one thing that helps them stay the path.  You may be all they have. Share your heart with them. Share Jesus with them. Be desperate enough FOR them to know that your answer may be the difference to them. Your desperation for Christ, the realization that He is what they need could save their life. 

2 comments:

  1. Love it when you post stuff.
    You are such a precious person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you Sherry! We need a dinner date. You are part of my tribe <3

      Delete