I laughed when I realized how many years it took to discover who I am.... by first zealously exploring who I am not

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Comfort Food

Yesterday was wonderful as I realized that I had lost 8 pounds... (yay me) Today has been really hard. Hard circumstances at work (for those that don't know I work at an addiction recovery center for men) have made me weepy, jumpy and stressed. I've learned that when I'm stuggling, I want to eat. Which was very disconcerting for me, because I never realized that I did that. I knew I would snack when I was bored but this has opened my eyes to a whole new realization. I do comfort food. I had no idea. So because I'm a freak and can never be happy with just one new revelation, the process begins of WHY? Why do I do this? And very quickly, (actually very quickly twice because the first time I remembered I ignored it and asked for a different answer) God brought to mind a lesson I took in Elijah House 2 on False Refuge. A refuge is defined as shelter or protection, or a sheltering place; a place or person offering protection or safe shelter from something. (On a side note, I firmly believe that is is possible to preach from the dictionary) SO.... a false refuge is basically something that I go to that is really not supposed to do that job for me. In this case, God is my refuge, not food. Need something to back that up? ok you asked for it.....

Psalm 18:2
The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
Psalm 18:30
As for God, his way is perfect: The LORD’s word is flawless; he shields all who take refuge in him.

Psalm 25:20
Guard my life and rescue me; do not let me be put to shame, for I take refuge in you.

Psalm 31:1
[ Psalm 31 ] For the director of music. A psalm of David. In you, LORD, I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame; deliver me in your righteousness.

Psalm 31:2
Turn your ear to me, come quickly to my rescue; be my rock of refuge, a strong fortress to save me.

Psalm 31:4
Keep me free from the trap that is set for me, for you are my refuge.

Psalm 31:19
How abundant are the good things that you have stored up for those who fear you, that you bestow in the sight of all, on those who take refuge in you.

Psalm 34:8
Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.

Psalm 34:22
The LORD will rescue his servants; no one who takes refuge in him will be condemned.

Psalm 36:7
How priceless is your unfailing love, O God! People take refuge in the shadow of your wings.

These are just a few of the scriptures that refer to God as a refuge. So my focus and thoughts have to be that when I'm worried, stressed, sad, happy- no matter the emotion, I have to trust that God has got it and He's going to take care of it. It's so much easier said then done. Remember the crushing process I talked about a couple of weeks ago... this is part of it. For me it's letting go of all the false places that I go to seeking comfort, help, peace and going to the Creator of these things. It's knowing the God's plan is to do good for me and to give me hope and a future. These other things, these false refuges are fleeting, and blown away with the first wind that comes through. God is eternal and never ending.

Lord, help me trust You. Help me to seek You first, before anything else. To know that You are my peace, my comfort, my REFUGE. You never leave anything undone, lacking, empty. But You are finisher of everything in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment